Best Portable Bunk Beds 2018
Comprehensive Buyer's Guide and Reviews
Camping has changed a lot since the days when you would just set up an A-frame, grab a sleeping bag, and call it a day. There is a big range of camping gear out there to make your outdoor adventures more comfortable.
One thing most people are concerned about when they go camping is getting a good night’s sleep. Studies have shown that camping can actually improve your sleep, but of course you need the right gear as well. Tossing and turning all night because of an uncomfortable sleeping situation can ruin your camping trip. Some people find that air mattresses and sleeping pads just do not do the trick for them. Others want to save space inside their tent. If you are one of those people, you should look into purchasing a portable bunk bed.
Camping bunk beds not only provide more comfort, they also save a lot of space inside your tent. They are a great option if you are a frequent camper. One great thing about bunk bed cots is that during the day they can be converted into a bench to provide a sitting/lounging space for your family.
If you have kids, a bunk bed cot will be very useful both indoors and outdoors. You can put one in the kids’ play room at home, send it with them to their grandparents house when the go to stay the night, or use it when they have sleepovers.
Whatever you plan to use your bunk bed cot for, it will be a useful purchase. Before making a purchase however, you need to know what to look for and how to choose the best one. We will discuss everything you need to know about bunk beds for camping and also give you a list of the top products currently on the market.
Best Portable Bunk Beds 2018
1. Large Disc-O-Bed With Organizers - Best Portable Bunk Bed 2018
This portable bunk bed can fit 2 people comfortably and is suitable to use in all kinds of tents and dome structures used for camping. The bunk bed sits 11 inches off the ground and has 21 inches between the cots for a comfortable night’s sleep. The space beneath the cot can be used as extra storage space. The strong coated steel frame is rust-resistant to guarantee it will endure through the years. The part of the frame located at the bottom of the cot is rounded to prevent damage to the tent floor. Each cot is 28 inches wide and can hold up to 500 pounds. The cot fabric is made of a quick-drying polyester and it can be removed for cleaning. With no mid-bar and a design to fit to the natural contours of your body, this cot is so comfortable on its own that it requires no mattress.
Each cot is equipped with an organizer attached to its side where you can store personal items in your reach. This cot is multifunctional: at night serving as 2 beds to sleep on, while during the day it can be converted into a bench, giving you a place to sit and relax. This feature is also great to use during mealtimes, giving the whole family a place to sit, cutting down on extra gear you need to bring on your camping trip.
Featuring Disc-O-Bed’s special disc style construction, assembly is easy and requires no extra tools. Even just one person can complete the setup process. Included is a storage bag that has a strap on it for easy portability. It also comes with a one year warranty in case of any defects.
The outer dimensions measure 81.75 x 32.25 x 36.5 inches.
This bunk bed is the perfect addition to your car camping trip. It is strong, sturdy, comfortable, and offers plenty of storage space to make your camping trip even more enjoyable.
This bunk bed was designed with kids in mind and comes in a few fun colors- teal, lime green, and red. It has a steel frame that is powder-coated and has anti-rust properties to ensure longevity. Each cot can hold up to 200 pounds, which is plenty of weight allowance for your growing children. There is no middle leg or center support which allows for a more comfortable sleeping deck. The cot material is high grade polyester, which provides contoured comfort. The sleeping decks are well ventilated to allow for fresh air to flow and cut down on humidity. When you want to wash the sleeping decks, you can simply remove them for easy cleaning. Make sure they are completely dry before putting them in storage.
The frame has a special disc design which makes it super easy to set, up-no tools required. Its design allows it to be used on uneven ground.The included instructions for setup include pictures and are very easy to follow; assembly takes just 10 minutes. Two polyester bags are included for easy storage and transportation. Since there are two bags instead of just one, each child can carry their own cot.
During the day the bunk bed can be converted into a bench for the kids to lounge on. Even when not camping, this bunk bed is very useful to use at home in your kids playroom for your kids to hang out on or use for sleepovers. This bunk bed can also be converted into 2 single cots. Each cot has an attached organizer to easily store personal items.
There are no guardrails on this bunk bed since the sleeping area is lower than the side rails, making it difficult to roll off.
The rounded end frame gives the bunk bed more stability and prevents damage to the floor. This camping bunk bed measures 65 x 32.5 x 32 inches when unfolded and weighs 40 pounds.
If you are looking for a bigger option, this extra large version of the Disc-O-Bed is the perfect portable option for you and it provides more sleeping room for better comfort. If you camp frequently, this is a great choice.
The outer dimensions measure 81.75 inches x 39.5 inches x 36.5 inches and it has a sleep area measuring 79 inches x 34.5 inches. The rounded bed end frame used on the bottom bunk prevent it from sinking into the ground and causing damage to the tent floor. The anti-rust, powder coated steel rail is engineered for durability and flexibility. It provides a level sleeping surface even on uneven terrain. Featuring a weight tolerance of 500 pounds per bunk, this bunk bed will last for many years.
The sleeping deck features a high-grade polyester which provides support while at the same time conforming to your body shape. This provides maximum comfort and helps you to get a good night’s sleep. The sleeping decks are water resistant and allow for airflow to cut down on humidity, which aides in hygiene. They can be removed from the frame to be washed.
Included are two organizers that connect to the sleeping deck using a simple hook and loop system. They have zipped sleeves and smaller open pockets where you can stash reading and writing materials, water bottles, a flashlight, keys, and anything else you want to keep in your reach. The longer sleeve can accommodate a fishing rod or a rifle.
Assembly is easy, and step by step instructions are included. Disassembly is also easy, and when you want to store it away it fits perfectly into two zippered carry bags for convenient storage and transportation.
There are also a number of Disc-O-Bed accessories you can add to this bunk bed such as: mosquito net and frame, large zippered cabinet, leg extension set, and gear stand.
This X-Large bunk bed offers more options for your next outdoor adventure. Equipped with 2 organizers, one for each person, this bunk cot offers plenty of space for you to store your personal items right within your reach. The organizers are made from 600 denier polyester and are attached to each sleeping deck by velcro straps. They have zipped sleeves and also open pockets. It comes with four leg extensions which allow for 7 inches more of vertical height. This extra height offers more comfort since it gives you more space between bunks. With the leg extensions attached, there is 28 inches of head clearance.
The sleeping decks offer 35 inches width of sleeping space and they can be wiped with a wet cloth or you can remove them for machine washing. Unlike may standard cots, the sleeping decks are not supported by a mid bar, which makes sleeping much more comfortable. This allows for a natural, contour sleep system which is similar to sleeping in a regular bed. Because of this design, no mattress is required to sleep on these cots.
The robust, anti-rust steel frame is built to last and can support up to 500 pounds of weight per cot. The end frame is rounded to provide stable support, especially on uneven ground. The rounded frame also prevents the bunk from sinking into the ground, which causes damage to the tent floor. The outer dimensions measure 82 x 43.5 x 39.5 inches.
Featuring Disc-O-Bed’s patented disc system, this bunk bed cot couldn’t be easier to set up. No tools are required for assembly and disassembly is also quick and easy. Once it is disassembled, it fits compactly in the included carrying bag for easy storage and transportation.
5. Large Disc-O-Bed Cam-O-Bunk With 2 Organizers, 2 Cabinets, And Leg Extensions
If you want to take your portable bunk bed to the next level, check out this large Cam-O-Bunk that comes with even more bells and whistles. It comes with the standard side organizers, which are attached to each sleeping bunk. But it offers tons more storage space with the 2 cabinets that are attached to each end of the bunk. With so much extra storage space, you don’t need to bring extra camping gear to use to store you things. Books, shoes, lanterns, clothes, and dishes are just a few things that you can store in the cabinets.
The 2 smaller organizers have a pair of pen pockets, zippered sleeves, a pair of netted pockets, and more.
The included leg extension gives you 7 inches more space between bunks, providing more comfort. If you decide to just use one cot, you can still attach the leg extensions so that it sits higher off the ground, allowing you to store things beneath it.
This Cam-O-Bed is a breeze to set up and is fully collapsible, no extra tools required. One person can get it fully set up within minutes. When not in use, store the bunk bed in the included zippered carrying bag for easy storage and transportation. The sleeping decks are made of 600D polyester and are each 28 inches wide, with no mid bar, making them comfortable to sleep in. You do not need to add a mattress to get a good night’s sleep. When you need to clean the sleeping decks, simply wipe with a wet cloth.
Each cot can hold up to 500 pounds of weight. Without leg extensions, the cot sits 11 inches from the ground, with enough space to store things underneath the cot. The outer dimensions measure 82 x 43.5 x 32 inches.
The powder coated steel frame is durable and designed to withstand the elements. Like the other Disc-O-Beds, this one can be restructured to serve as a bench during the day so there is no need to bring camping chairs along.
Portable Bunk Beds Buying Guide
When looking for a portable bunk bed, here are some important things to keep in mind:
- Size. Before starting your search, you need to figure out what size you need. This depends on a couple factors- if the cot will be used by children or adults and your own personal preferences. There are bunk cots made specially for kids, so check out those options if you are buying for children. Those cots will be smaller than the adult ones but still provide the right amount of sleeping space for a good night’s rest. If you are going for an adult option, decide how much sleeping area you want. This can depend on your size and if you move around in your sleep. Adult cots usually come in large and extra large. You should pay attention to how much space you will have in your tent for a cot to make sure it will fit in comfortably. Remember to look at the dimensions of the cots to make sure you get the right size for you. Also pay attention to the weight since you may to carry it to the campsite. Cots for kids are usually packed separately into 2 different carrying bags so that they are light enough for each child to carry their own.
- Price. Bunk bed cots don’t run super cheap, but there is still a range in the prices. The price depends on the size, and any extra features they have. Have a budget clearly in mind before you make a purchase.
- Durability. If you are a frequent camper, you want to make sure to purchase a product that will last you many years. The frame should be made of strong steel and be resistant to rust so that it can withstand the elements.The sleeping deck material should also be strong and durable.
- Comfort. Getting a good night’s rest is important when you go camping. Losing sleep can really ruin your whole trip. Many standard cots have a bar running through the middle of them which makes sleeping very uncomfortable. To prevent this, a good cot will have no mid bar, allowing for a comfortable night’s rest. It should also be long enough for you so that your feet aren’t hanging over the edge.
- Frame design. When it comes to the frame, many standard cots have poles that sink into the ground, causing damage to your tent floor. A good cot will have a rounded bottom frame to prevent this from happening. This design also allows for the cot to be stable even when set up on uneven ground.
- Sleeping deck material. As previously stated, the sleeping decks need to be made of strong material. They also should be breathable so that moisture does not build up on them, causing mildew. They should be easy to clean and you should be able to remove them to wash them thoroughly.
- Storage. There are some items you will want to store close to you, such as a flashlight. Any cot should have some storage space for small items. Many bunk cots have organizers that attach to each bunk. This is ideal since you will want to keep some items within your reach. Check to see how far the bunk bed sits off the ground to see if you can fit some things underneath the bed. If you want a lot of storage space, go for a bunk bed that offers large attachable cabinets where you can store lots of things like clothes, shoes, and other accessories. If you go for this option, you won’t need to bring extra gear to use to store your things.
- Portability. Any portable bunk bed should be, well, easily portable. When disassembled, it should fold up compactly into a carrying case. A carrying case should be included in the purchase to make transportation easier.
- Easy to assemble/disassemble. No one wants to spend loads of time trying to figure out how to set up a simple bunk bed. The best kind is easy to set up, ideally only one person should be able to completely set it up. It is also a huge plus if you don’t need any tools to assemble it.
- Leg extensions. This is an extra feature that you might be interested in. Some people want more space underneath the bunk bed to allow for more storage space, or they want more space between bunks for more comfort. If would like those options, you will want to go for a product that offers leg extensions.
- Versatility. A bunk bed is a great addition for your camping trip but many bunk beds for camping function as more than a place to sleep. Many also can be transformed into a bench with a backrest. This is useful for during the day when you need seating or a place to lounge to read a book or play a board game. Many bunk beds can also be set up side by side as 2 separate cots.
The Different Types Of Portable Bunk Beds
Adult Bunk Bed Cots Vs. Child Bunk Bed Cots
You will see two main types of bunk beds for camping- those for adults and those for children. The ones for adults are, of course larger, and hold more weight. Bunk cots for kids still can hold a lot of weight, so you don’t have to worry about your kids outgrowing them quickly. Adult bunk bed cots usually can hold 500 pounds per cot, while those made for children hold 200 pounds per cot.
Adult bunk beds offer more options when it comes to storage and some of them have leg extensions to allow for more space either between bunks or underneath the bottom bunk. Some also come with large attachable cabinets for even more storage space. Bunk cots for children come in fun colors to appeal to kids. They are useful for more than just camping- you can send them along with your kids when they go stay with relatives, they can be used for sleepovers, or you can put them in the playroom where your kids can lounge and read a book or play games. Even the adult ones can be used when you have some family stay with you but don’t have enough beds for everyone.
The Different Brands Of Portable Bunk Beds
When it comes to camping bunk beds, there is one brand that stands out the most, Disc-O-Bed. Disc-O-Bed has been a family owned business since 1988 and they are now recognized all over the world for their innovative design when it comes to bunk cots. They use a special patented disc system (which is where the company gets its name) which helps to make their beds strong, comfortable, and easy to set up. Disc-O-Bed is dedicated to providing sleep solutions for extreme situations.
Their beds are recognized not only as a staple for outdoor enthusiasts, but they also meet the demands of emergency relief and military troop deployment worldwide. When disasters happen, Disc-O-Bed’s cots provide a portable, comfortable, hygienic, easy-to-setup option. They work great in group shelters and save on space. During the day, the cots can be converted into a bench with a backrest for a more home-like feel. Since the sleep decks are resistant to water, mildew, and stains, they are hygienic and can even be removed and washed which prevents bug infestation. Specially anti-microbial treated mats are available on request.
Disc-O-Bed cots have been tested in extreme climates and conditions to ensure they are super durable. Even if for some reason one part breaks on the cot, the parts are replaceable, eliminating the need to purchase an entire new cot.
Disc-O-Bed’s cots are also used in the military to provide a comfortable and virtually indestructible sleeping option.
Disc-O-Bed has your sleep needs covered whether it is in the home, campground, at the site of disaster relief, or at military site.
Portable Bunk Beds Wrap Up
Portable bunk beds are convenient to have when you go camping. They will save a lot of floor space in your tent so that you can have more room to store other things. They are also comfortable and require no mattress, cutting down on extra gear you will have to carry. Since they have strong steel frames and durable material for the sleeping decks, they are sure to last you many years.
The great thing about bunk beds for camping is that they aren’t just useful on the campground. They can be used indoors as a quick and easy way to add more sleep area when you have guests.
Before making your purchase, decide how big a bunk bed you need to be comfortable and if you want any extra features like extra storage or leg extensions. Your camping trips will be much more comfortable after you find the perfect bunk for you.